Closing the concept of PURPOSE, we offer up some fundamental summary thoughts about what it REALLY all means. How do you make this personal? How do you serve your clients with INTENTIONAL PURPOSE? And with all things SHIFTABILITY in nature we make it actionable… something specific to go DO!
OK, LET’s ROLL… and do it with PURPOSE;
…………from the SHIFTABILITY books comes…..
Living and Working On Purpose
Understanding and embracing our purpose will energize and direct everything we do.
Keeping anchored in your purpose is going to be essential to your success in implementing the skills we are going to talk about. It is going to help you overcome fears and obstacles, give you the courage to try new things, and keep you going when things get tough.
Our purpose lies at the heart of what motivates us.
When you ask salespeople why they have chosen this profession you will likely get a wide variety of answers. Almost always when you dig deep it is not the love of competing or greed for money that is the most compelling factor. What truly comes out is the higher-level simple love of helping people. All of the other motivations are in play, but the really big tug is the desire to help people in some way. This really does point to having a purpose and pursuing it.
Operating from a sense of purpose does require a shift in understanding. Understanding why you really do what you do, not just for income. We need to understand why the companies that we work for truly exist and the higher purpose they serve. And then seek understanding about your client’s purpose. You may even end up shifting how they think about themselves and help them see the greater purpose that they serve.
Shiftability Now: Understanding Our Purpose
- Our work is driven by purpose, defined by purpose, and ultimately serves a purpose.
- Mission explains what we do and whom we do it for, vision tells us where we aim to be, values direct how we do it, and purpose tells us WHY.
- We need to understand our individual purpose, the purpose of the role we are in, and the corporate purpose of the company we work for.
- Your clients are trying, just like you, to align and serve their individual purpose with the purpose of their role and the purpose of their company.
- Understanding and embracing our purpose will energize and direct everything we do.
- What do you believe about your purpose as an individual?
- What do you believe about your purpose as a sales professional? What do you need to believe?
- What is your company’s purpose? If there isn’t an existing stated purpose, what do you think it is?
- Write out a personal purpose statement. You may find it helpful to write about your mission (what you do and who you do it for), vision (where you are headed) and values (how you operate) to lead you to clarify your purpose.
- Write out what you know about the purposes of one of your clients: individual, role, and corporate. Aim to discover more about their purpose: ask questions, do some research.